View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #18
CHuDWah

Default Re: Biggest scare in a Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
1971. I had street rodded my 30 ccpu with a small block chevy V-8. Thought I was cool with a late 40s flathead truck rear end with open drive shaft. On the freeway at 60 mpg the shifter kept popping out of third. By the 4th time I looked in the side view mirror the left rear slick was coming out of the fender. The axle had snapped clean. I was fortunate enough to get to the side of the road. A State Patrolman and good Samaritan stopped to help. We jacked the car up and the the wheel/tire fell in my arms.

I had pretty much the same experience about the same time in my stock 30 CCPU. Doing about 35 on a city street, I felt the rear end jerking side to side - looked in the side mirror and the right rear tire was coming off. Got her off the road before it came off completely. Axle had snapped - after 40 years of use and probably abuse, guess it just gave up.

Another time, same truck, same road, same speed, a car stopped short in front of me. I hit the brakes hard but saw I wasn't going to stop in time. I yanked the hand brake as hard as I could and locked her up - that stopped us real quick.

I think the truck and that road just didn't like each other.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote