Thread: New Ride
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #14
jagnweiner

Default Re: New Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
In my state the safety inspection standard for play in a non-power steering wheel is three inches. That's 19° on an 18" steering wheel. So, if your wheel is only 10°, that's only 1.5 inches, you're doing great. That may seem like quite a bit but it's OK, especially for these old cars.

If you want to try to adjust the steering box to reduce the play here are the instructions for doing that:

It works up to a point that everything inside is too worn out to adjust any more. Then you have to rebuild the box to take any more out. It sure worked with mine . . . for a while.
Thanks for posting those instructions. That's perfect. I'll have a better idea of what the situation is once I take delivery. As mentioned, seller was going to look into it in the interim, so he may resolve it. I will also inspect for worn bushings, etc.

The 10 degree figure was just a guess; bottom line, I've driven a lot of cars with a lot of play in the steering and this was the most I've seen. To the point where I really couldn't enjoy driving it. Although it is 69 years old, I have a 91 year old Dodge Brothers with much tighter steering.

Thanks again for all the help. Glad I found this forum.
jagnweiner is offline   Reply With Quote