View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
JimNNN

Default Re: material for 55/56 Ford station wagon

Quote:
JimNNN....nice 54!
Thanks Steve.

Sal is correct. As far as I can tell, my Mainline Ranch Wagon came also from the factory with that stuff that he describes: about 1/8" or maybe slightly thicker coating that dried very hard and, when the car was new, it was probably pretty durable. I'm pretty sure it wasn't some sort of pre-formed shell that was attached after the fact, but I could be wrong. It looked like it was a substance applied to the interior surface of the wheel wells. As I recall, it had a slight texture to the surface.

The coating cracked over the years and the problem was that the edges of the cracks curled outwards severely with age. I knew I was never going to recreate the original or fill in the cracks adequately, so I did what I described above (same as with decking.) Again, taking the coating off was hard. Used a putty scrapper type tool. Some of it came off easy and some of it didn't.Sanding will work, but I personally don't like breathing in unknown dust from the mid-20th century and masks are tedious.

PS. I just now found this on facebook for people looking for decking. Looks promising.
Won't let me link to facebook, so the guy's contact info is:

Mike Hess
(916)802-2904

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=133149676743109&story_fbid=195650 5971074128

He has this info listed publicly so I presume he's looking for customers.

The pic looks to approximate what's in my Ford, but I can't tell for sure.

Last edited by JimNNN; 05-28-2019 at 06:13 PM.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote