View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #18
George Miller

Default Re: Rear main oil return tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Purdy is probably correct about the 3/8 by 32 but I have found George Miller's suggestion works for me.

I use a 1/8" pipe thread tap and it always works. I spot weld the 3/8"steel pipe to the cap with stainless wire and find it holds well. I also drill out the oil passage in the cap to 3/8" when doing this conversion. Be careful, go slow, when the tip of the drill bit nears the back of the cap as the bit can bind in the grooves.

The tapped hole is not 90 degrees to the parting line of the cap. I built a jig to position the cap to achieve the correct angle. If you place a 1/8" spacer under the front edge of cap with the rear of the cap on the bed of your drill press, the angle of the pipe will be correct. I have a photo of my jig I will add to the post later if I can find it...or I'll take another photo.
Good Day!

Dave is right on. I also drill the oil passage also very important. You never know what you are going to find in that hole. Plus it fixes the tube from blocking the oil flow through the cap, if it is screwed in to far.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote