View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #67
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Need help at Macungie P.A. Meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ehrenhofer View Post
For those who are wondering if, or why someone would get into fine point judging there is an another way to look at it. Using a few repro parts including valve stems and hub caps (A&L of course) it is possible and very easy to score in the 400 to 450 point range. This will give you a MARC of Excellence award and a beautiful car. If you desire to win a Henry it is also possible but some more money and time will have to be invested to find all the original parts. if you want to score in the 490 to 500 range then you must invest the time and money to reach that highly elevated score. The difficulty level is certainly there and is it possible? Yes, it is possible but extremely difficult and thus the award is most coveted.
I personally in most cars I build shoot for the MARC of Excellence and then drive and have fun. it is afforadable and within reach of most people. It gives you a beautiful Model A in the end. To those who want to win the Henry I say lets go for it as it is a wonderful goal to shoot for WOW! What a great hobby!!!!!
Ken
Ken, adding to what you stated above, from personal experience a 'well detailed' car restored with reproduction parts will only score in the 380's. The same caliber of car with very few repro parts but with original stems will likely score in the low 400's, --good enough for a MARC of Excellence but not good enough to get into the mid 400's from my experiences. Area 22 has a total of 35 points available and Doc will deduct ½ of that for repro tires, stems & caps, ...not counting wheel condition & finish. I am definitely not arguing or saying his scoring is wrong other than to say that in just this area alone one can plan on losing 15-20 points. Interior Trim & Plating are also areas that someone will take a huge hit on if reproduction items are found. Then if you take the other 20+/- areas and only subtract 1 point from each of those areas for minor deficiencies , you can see where this will add up to over 70-80 points being deducted. Using just a few repro parts in each of those areas and you can easily lose just 2-3 points per area and you will be under 400 points.

My point is not berate or rebuke the system, but for folks to truly understand that the system is really tougher than many might think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHinson View Post
Ken, I have no personal experience with MARC or MAFCA Judging or Meets. What are the requirements for the Henry award? I am curious about the MARC and MAFCA Judging System. Is there a written source of information to understand how the judging works? From just reading the Judging Standards, I really have no idea if I should consider Touring Class or Fine Point Judging if I ever attend a MARC or MAFCA Meet, but I am guessing that Touring Class would be more appropriate, as there are a few reproduction parts on my car.
While I'm not Ken, I'll edit my post to include yours with my thoughts. I think the answer to your question can be likened to playing the game of baseball. You can read the rulebook until you have it memorized but you never really understand the mechanics of the game until you have actually played or participated in a game or two. I personally have had several cars compete in both fine-point and touring class judging and prefer the fine-point because I feel it is a tougher challenge. I think the experience all boils down to how honest you are with how authentic your vehicle is and what your goals are by competing. At French Lick this year, out of the 600 plus cars that were there, only 20 vehicles were showcased in fine-point making them the elite of the field. That is a very big honor IMO but to others it may not be such a big thing. Therefore, maybe it is like Yogi Bear says it best about fine-point judging; "This is the kind of thing you like if you like that kind of thing."

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 07-27-2010 at 11:38 AM.