View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 12:41 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Repro Parts That Don't Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
Price doesn't always indicate the quality of the parts. I purchased a model A modern valve kit for a bargain of a price. The valves were all stainless and the kit of excellent quality all of the way around. The valve kit was only $116 from Mike's A Ford-able Parts. What looked to be the same kit at $154 for the set from Mac's, it would have cost me $38 more. The best buy that I had was a new narrow pickup bed from Mac's. Its regular price was $1,600 and I got a Christmas sale price at 10% off from that. The bed came knocked down, fit perfectly and it looked like new old stock when installed. I had an original A Ford bed to compare it with and the new bed exceeded all of my expectations.

Not exactly what i was trying to get across. If one were to look at, say, bratton's catalog, you will find items of the same description but one will be labeled best available and one will not. The price on the best available would be way higher than the other. Why have both if one is better the the other?

Let's take fenders. Front fenders from Mike's, are $490.00 each and all made by the same company. If we do a search on this forum will will find several threads on the modifications necessary to make them fit perfect as the factory ones. How many people here have actually done the modifications or just bolted them as as good enough? Would we be willing to pay $1000.00 each to have "perfect" ones available?

This is what I meant by shopping by price. The VAST majority of those that read this site are of the "good enough", why bother making it perfect enough to be judged variety, not that there is anything wrong with that. While there are owners willing, there is just not enough owners willing to spend the $1000.00 a fender to get them remade for the masses.

Good enough is good enough.