View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Dual carb advantage?

On a street-driven car, I am partial to a small base Rochester 2G on a bored out Mercury manifold. Mounted backwards, the carburetor will bolt right to the manifold and the fuel line and throttle linkage fall right into place. The choke is a different matter; it operates backwards. Since the Merc manifolds have a provision for automatic chokes, I have used the automatic choke 2G's (both regular and divorced) with no problem. The only problem is that there is a leverage problem and, while the throttle linkage falls right into place, the a stock Ford throttle linkage only opens the carburetor about 3/4 of the way. Either the lever on the firewall or the one on the throttle shaft need to be modified to get full throttle. These carburetors flow about as much as 2 94's, so you essentially have the increased carburetion that 2 regular carbs provide, but with the simplicity of a single unit. I have been running one of these on the '51 Merc in my '51 coupe for the last 3 years and am very satisfied with the driveability and performance.

Of course, this is fine if you have a car with a hood; for anything else, you gotta have the dual setup.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)