View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
Bruce_MO

Default Re: Henry Ford and St Louis????

Lived in StL for 63 years and I've read most every book about Henry Ford there is, and I've never heard that one. His network of associates who were helping him and who he was collaborating with were all in Detroit, so it doesn't make sense to me. Most all the original investors were Detroit folks, so why would he move? And Detroit had a more solid and booming manufacturing base, machine shops, etc. than StL at the time I think. St. Louis did have some pretty early auto manufacturers, though.

He did have a facility in StL that I think opened not long after the company was founded; as a member of the StL V8 Club we visited it a number of years ago. It was about a block from the Fox Theater just off Grand Ave. to those who know St. Louis geography. But it burned down probably 15 years ago and last I was there, the site was vacant. I believe they assembled knocked down Model T's there, and had a district office, until they built the big assembly plant on Forest Park Blvd around 1914-15. That plant has been saved, and is now apartments. I don't have access to my copy of "The Ford Factory" by Lorin Sorensen, which has some details about all the early Ford sites.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote