View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #15
Ross6860

Default Re: Wicked Oil Leak - Sage Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheltzel View Post
Had the same problem on my '35. The rear oil slinger had been installed backwards. Instead of slinging the oil back, it was pumping it out!! It's an easy mistake to make. The slinger is cupped and if you don't know better, you might assume it was designed to go over the rear main bearing.

If your tranny is leaking as much as you say, I wouldn't try to stop the leak at the universal joint cover...the oil will simply migrate back to the banjo and overfill it, leading to axle housing seal problems and ruined brake shoes. Better to stop the leak at the source.

By the way, you can't drop the tranny if you pull the rear end. It has to come out the top through the cab. Pretty straightforward job, though.
Thanks

My major leak is engine oil from the rear main, oil pan, or cam cover. Runs out of the bell housing drain.

Thanks for the info on pulling the tranny. Tranny leak is minor, but I may need to re-seal the cam cover. Can I get to it without pulling the motor by removing the tranny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willit Stop View Post
Ross. The pan can be removed without pulling the engine.I've had mine off three times.It's not fun.3 hours to take it off and 3 hours to put it back together.Other than the obvious stuff,remove the starter,drop the wishbone,remove u-bolts,rad hoses,motor mount bolts, exhaust(maybe),raise the engine a little and rotate crank so the first journal is down and wiggle the pan out. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
Ross, just a thought. If the bean can from the starter bendix is missing, that is supposed to make oil suck from the rear main. I can't remember any solid detail on this. I'm 60 now, My dad sold his V8 when I was 10. I seem to recall that that was the cause of his rear main leak. Any one else know about this?
I apologize for my ignorance. What's a "bean can"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishsteel View Post
Is this a newly rebuilt engnine? If so, then check the bolt holes in the rear cam cover. I had the same result on a newly installed rebuilt '36 LB. Pulled engine and discovered the bolt hole directly above the water pump and a tiny hole into the oil pump chamber, thus presurized oil was being forced through the threads and running out the "cotter key" in the bottom of the bell housing. I cut a couple leather and rubber plugs, smeared them with #2 permatex and then turned the bolt in. Sealed it up. Good luck. Rod
The vehicle is a relatively recent restoration, but I have absolutely no documentation on what was done. The vehicle was purchased through an estate sale. If I can't fix it by winter I'll probably have to pull the engine or tranny and see what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheltzel View Post
Sorry, Ross. I misread your post. Thought you were talking about a tranny leak. That'll teach me to read more closely!! Hope you find the answer to your rear main leak.
I have a tranny leak, also, and a steering box leak, but these are not bad enough to require immediate attention. The oil leak is a concern.

First thing I'll do is try running 4 quarts. Probably try this tomorrow.

Thanks, all.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote