View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
swedishsteel

Default Re: Wicked Oil Leak - Sage Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross6860 View Post
Had the '36 out in traffic for the first time today.

I've noticed what I thought was a pretty bad rear main seal leak, until I was informed this model does not have a rear main seal.

I pulled into the garage, and for whatever time it takes to get out of the car and check to make sure the garage door will close, and come back and shut the car down, I think it dumped about 1/8 cup of oil. It also left a stream of closely-spaced drops up the driveway.

Any sage advice would be appreciated. I don't want to blindly go tearing things apart (but it would not be the first time).

Is there a rear oil gallery plug for the cam or anything at the rear of the block? The later model shows an oil-pump drive cover. I'll assume this version has the same?

I guess I'm into pulling the engine or dropping the trans in any case. I don't think this is a nuisance leak.

With the torque tube, can the transmission be dropped without pulling the engine? Am I just better off pulling the engine?

Thanks in advance.
Is this a newly rebuilt engnine? If so, then check the bolt holes in the rear cam cover. I had the same result on a newly installed rebuilt '36 LB. Pulled engine and discovered the bolt hole directly above the water pump and a tiny hole into the oil pump chamber, thus presurized oil was being forced through the threads and running out the "cotter key" in the bottom of the bell housing. I cut a couple leather and rubber plugs, smeared them with #2 permatex and then turned the bolt in. Sealed it up. Good luck. Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote