View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #8
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Timed my roadster - now runs worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivcokid View Post
I was told that timing the car would take care of several issues, and it was a good idea to do it periodically anyway. So, armed with my Nu-rex, I followed the instructions step by step, finding TDC etc. Put everything back, and it was harder to start. When I got it started and took it out, it was like I was towing a Mack truck behind it. Little power in all gears, and it really lumbered up even the shallowest of hills. Playing with the timing lever seemed to do no good, or at least nothing appreciable.

So, of course, my question is - what did this novice do wrong, and what should I do to rectify it so I can drive it?

Thanks, always, in advance . . . . .
A couple of suggestions: First, be careful where you get your advice! There are so many urban legends floating around on timing and tuning a Model A that it'll make your head spin! Just stick to the factory procedure in the owner's manual for simplicity's sake. All you need to keep in mind is that this procedure only sets base, or initial timing (for starting purposes only). As soon as the engine starts you pull the timing lever down part-way, which advances the timing. As you you increase RPM, you move the timing lever down some more, which advances the timing further.
So, set the point gap at .020" (or .018"-.022" per factory manual) then follow the procedure for setting the points cam and tighten the screw. You have now set the timing(initial) for the life of the engine! Leave it alone! Keep the point gap at .020" and your timing will always be correct.
Eventually the timing gears will wear which will retard the timing slightly. Just advance the timing lever an extra click or two and you automatically have compensated for this wear! Don't over complicate things!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote