View Single Post
Old 12-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #7
Synchro909

Default Re: Pressurize a cooling system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
To answer your question, yes, but other hings need to be done, and considered. As rotorwrench stated, a new neck needs to be soldered to the top tank, so the cap would seal. If using the stock Model A water pump, it may not hold the pressure, and would leak. A hot-rod overflow tank needs to be installed, it can attach to the tabs that hold the shell on. You could also just install an overflow tank to the stock radiator, that would catch all the water, and suck it back in as the engine cools. I suspect you are not using the stock pump, or maybe even the original engine?
I have 4 Model As on the road. 3 of them run 4 psi in the cooling system with no modification to the radiator neck. They each have one of my modified water pumps on them and an overflow tank. The other is absolutley original except that I have a tube running from the bottom of the overflow tube to a bottle mounted near the starter motor. After a drive, as the motor cools, the liquid is drawn back into the top tank and nothing is dropped on the ground/road as Jim describes.
I started upgrading the cooling system after running into overheating problems on a long tour (9,000 miles). My first act was to replace the radiator with a Brassworks heavy duty pressurised one. What a waste of money that was - no improvement AT ALL.