Thread: Hot Engine
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Drbrown

Default Re: Hot Engine

If your stock dash gauge is showing around the 3/4 temp range when hot, I think your okay. I say that because:

I have a mechanical add-on temp gauge with its sender unit installed in left head, and it shows about 175 degrees when running hot (I am using 160 degree stats). So I took apart my stock dash gauge and re-calibrated it so its needle indicator is at the 1/2 mark when the add-on gauge shows 160 degrees. So the stock gauge indicator now reads just below the 3/4 mark when running hot. When driving up long inclines/hills the temp will climb to the 3/4 mark, but drop back down when I'm back driving on level road.

I assume your engine still has its original two temp sensor units .... one in right head, one in left head. Some on this forum, including myself, note the right/passenger side of the engine runs a little hotter than the left side, apparently due to the way Ford cast its engine blocks. But all things equal-out when the two sides come together at the top of the radiator and the coolant passes on-thru.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote