View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #45
Fe26

Default Re: Saving a family treasure...(1936 1and1/2 ton)

There's a saying in our hobby/profession "It's only original once." Given that you have a rare demonstrator model, and the close family connection, with paint, signage etc. I would agree with cohammer60. Leave it as a time capsule. I'll offer an experience that many here have had at car shows, when people first get a glimpse of an original vehicle they'll walk right past all the beautiful restorations to get up close and personal with the real deal. The real deal can't be faked (although that's now become an industry all by itself) and people crave the genuine.
Your truck as it now stands is the living proof of it's history, change one thing and you change the story as it is written on the truck. Even what appears to be a bad part of it's history (left outside for years) has had a beneficial outcome in that the branches wore away some blue paint to expose the original colour, that can't be faked, you can't make up a history like that, and that history is also part of your story.
My opinion is to do the bare minimum, excepting brakes, lights, mechanical etc. But before you start take it to a local car show, you will be surprised at how many people will look and comment, also, some will tell you of parts they have tucked away, and you will hear their stories. This is valuable, admittedly you'll have to humour a few old-timers but you will hear some great things. After you have done this and got the truck back home, then comes the time to take your time to decide which way you want to go. Whatever your way is, good luck.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote