View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #34
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Cracked block repair failure

Cold repairs such as stitching are great. At the PRI show in Indy last year, I was standing in the Kwik-Way booth speaking with the reps when the topic of Iron-Tite came up. I was flabbergasted at both the quantity of companies and the various methods in which this product is/was used.

As for a welding method, as a kid I remember watching an old man weld a cracked 1930s Chrysler engine that had thrown a rod. He dug a hole in the ground big enough to lay the block in. Prior to setting the block in, he spread a bag of charcoal briquettes under and around the block. He lit it with gasoline (I distinctly remember the noise and high flames) and then walked away. Kinda like BBQing!

Later he rolled his welding cart out and brazed the pieces and all of the cracks back together. He then put some kind of cloth over it (I'm presuming something asbestos related) and then covered up the entire pit & engine with the dirt that was removed to make the hole. Some 45 years later that car is still being driven with that same engine, so I do know that brazing works. At the time I really didn't understand the heating and post-cooling process so I was extremely curious at the time. Today I think we often try to make simple things difficult by being 'correct'.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote