View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Default Confirmed, VIN problem that has always bothered me. What would you do?

I purchased a May 1929 Tudor sedan back in 1973, from a neighbor who bought it from Kansas, in 1968.

When I bought it, it had a VIN that started with an 'AA'. The current motor number is not that number.

I imagine that sometime in Kansas, the motor was switched and the title was changed to be the rebuilt number, which was probably that AA number.

The date on the firewall is 5-2-29. The AA number is a late June 29 number.

The car has been in and out of the family, but I am the current owner, again. The incorrect VIN has always bothered me.

I recently found some cracks in the frame that I had to have welded, so I had to raise the body. I decided to look for the VIN and like I thought it starts with just an A and it is an early May 29 number.

I called the DMV to see what I would need to do to get the VIN corrected on the title. They said that I would need to bring the car in, with the body lifted for them to inspect it. If there was a problem, I might have to make an appointment to have the California Highway Patrol inspect it. I went ahead and made an appointment over the phone, but it is 6 weeks from now.

Like most VIN's there are a few numbers that are not all there, but a reasonable person could make an educated guess as to what they are.

I had hoped to take the Tudor to the Orange County Model A pancake breakfast on April 22nd, but the body will still be raised. I do have 1929 truck that I can probably take instead, but it is disappointing.

What would you guys do? Would you just leave things alone, live with the error, reassemble it and take it to the breakfast. Or would you take the risk that everything will be fine and attempt to get it corrected?

Neil

Last edited by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA; 03-21-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spell check
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote