View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
pdora

Default Re: Attention California Car guys PLEASE READ

Even though the sticky thread "posts that turn political" is closed, we have some unfinished business that we can't avoid. Otherwise, politics will keep cropping up as in this thread and the one about taxation of vendors at national gatherings.

When the ban on political posts in the Ford Barn was announced, a few members quit in indignation. The rest of us (now numbering more that eight thousand!) elected to stay on. Most of those remaining were probably relieved to be free of endless partisan rants. I know I was.

There are, however, other kinds of political commentary. In a sense, everything we do and say has political overtones.

The stated purpose of this discussion board is the enjoyment and promotion of the Model A hobby. Some government actions threaten our common interest.

It is a fact that, given the authority, certain unelected bureaucrats would, at the stroke of a pen, cripple our activities and even turn us into outlaws.

I sincerely hope the Ford Barn can accommodate our efforts to protect what we have from outside incursions. Out commonality of interest in this regard extends far beyond the Model A community. We would do well to work with other enthusiasts such as:

All antique / classic cars, rods, customs, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, steam engines. In my rural community restored antique tractors are a big deal; they turn up at all the parades in the dozens, accompanied by the occasional A or T. I even have a friend who has collected more than a hundred gasoline-powered string trimmers!

There are ways to address politicized issues without becoming rancorously political. Judicious use of the "Report" button could keep things calm with minimum burden on the moderators.