Thread: 215 85 16s
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 10:18 PM   #37
GB SISSON

Default Re: 215 85 16s

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Radial truck tires were not a common thing in the mid to late '60's. I first noticed them on UPS route vans, UPS generally used split rims with the ring painted silver. I figured that if radials were good enough for UPS, they were good enough for me.
The 10 ply radials I bought were 750 x 16 Michelin's mounted on Firestone 16" split rims. I would run the tires on my RV unit for two years, switch them out to one of the Company trucks, putting a new set on the RV. When the tread got thin we would have the casings recapped, just like UPS did.
I still have a set of 700 x 15 Michelin's on Firestone split rims that came off of my '59 Ford F100 4x. I bought that set of tires and wheels in '68 or '69, they were recapped twice.
When I took the '59 out of the company service, I restored it, down graded the Michelin's/wheels to a utility trailer.

Two years ago I removed the Michelin's from the trailer, installed Ford F150 HD 5 on 5.5 wheels with radial trailer tires.

This tonner I brought home from Twisp in Eastern Washington about 5 years ago has a set of recapped 7.50x17 michelin radials on the front. Two years ago I bought an unused set of the same tire on craigslist, but not capped and put them on the front of my good driver jailbar tonner. Steers so nice. That's what got me thinking about tall skinny radials for the woodie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twisp tonner.jpg (54.6 KB, 14 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote