View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #11
GB SISSON

Default Re: Running on 3 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Neat rig! I am assuming that the manifolds have been surfaced. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike
I have surfaced quite a few manifolds and other parts on my cast iron wood jointer's machined surface. I stick adhesive 80 grit sandpaper on it and chuff away. Before too long I have a nice gray new surface. I recently bought a 6" wide belt sander with almost 3' machined surface between the rollers. Couple hundred bucks at a yard sale. This worked like a champ, but I gotta admit I didn't check it afterwards with a straight edge. I have worked with my hands for 50 years and I felt I was applying even pressure. I used a fairly thin gasket and later read that there should be short metal tubes or rings at the exhaust ports. I will address this over the weekend as I have my new flanged copper sandwich gasket. Does it matter which direction the stamped flanges go? And do I need the rings with this type of gasket? Came from Ecklers.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote