View Single Post
Old 11-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Smile Re: Intake reinstall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
I use it so things come apart easier, clean up is easier and the gasket can be reused if necessary....Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Grease allows surfaces to slide over each other as components are torqued up. Seals any microscopic voids/ imperfections. Any grease that exudes into either the valley or intake runners is assimilated into the engine with no harmful effects. Also, prevents the gasket from sticking to any surfaces, allowing easy subsequent removal, and indeed, as Ol Ron says, you can even reuse the same gasket after applying another layer of grease.

....and I totally agree with both of you, and Ol' Ron.

I had a '35, 21 stud block built in 2002 by an engine rebuilder in Southeastern Pa. Basically he did all the necessary machine work, and I put everything together. He recommended using HiTac sealer on all gaskets, so that's what I did. What a huge mistake that was when I had to tear that engine apart after only 2000 miles for an internal problem that needed to be corrected. Every single gasket was totally bonded to it's mating surfaces, and it took me untold hours to get all of that crap off every component that was bolted to the block.
After posting about the mess I had here on the Barn, several members who really knew what they were doing when assembling these Flatheads, suggested I just use grease on all gaskets and their mating surfaces, and that's exactly what I've been doing for the last 16 years. Never had to spend time again, removing old gasket material stuck to any components that required gaskets for sealing.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 11-24-2019 at 09:01 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote