View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
blucar

Default Re: Ford Flathead Powered Chrysler Boat

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
From about 1967 through Aug. '77 I had a 1953 Builtright, 18' w/8CM... The engine had a Howard cam, 4 barrel on a Edlebrock, Mallory ign. trans was a velvet drive.
The boat was a "classic design" inboard, speed boat. The engine was covered, mounted in the center of the hull behind the front bench seat. The hull was not planked like a Chris, it was glassed over plywood.... No maintenance problems.
The boat was a great ski boat, very quiet with lots of torque. I taught a lot of kids how to ski behind that boat.
All of my friends had Hot Dog flat bottoms with monster engines that would not idle. Since my boat was quiet and smooth, it was the favored boat for beer, etc., runs to the marina.
As my kids grew the boat stayed the same, being only 18' with teenagers I decided to re-power it with a SBC... I bought the engine and adapters, then changed my mind, opting for a new 24' day cruiser. I sold the speed boat to a fellow that wanted to keep the boat original..
The V8 60's were very popular in small racing boats, "Cracker Box" boats. The V8 60's were highly modified for boat use..

Last edited by blucar; 01-30-2011 at 11:50 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote