View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model A Marine Engine

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Ironically, James Rogers (DreamWerks) was over here at the shop today and we discussed that same thing about him selling his boat (Mercury outboard) because he doesn't use it, ....and me wanting a wooden launch with a Model A engine in it for power. My problem is that I have too much A/B speed equipment laying around that would likely find its way onto that marine engine! (Slalom skiing anyone?? )

Rogers said he was fixin' to build himself a Generator set for household emergency power during those brutal North Carolina winter storms when he is without power for a few days. I got to lookin' at what he was proposing, and with one of THESE units coupled to the back of a Model A engine & transmission, if he were to set the governor at about 1,000 rpms, and run the transmission in 2nd gear, --that oughtta be about right for about 540 RPMs out of the transmission output shaft. Surely with the torque output that thing would have at 900 - 1,000 rpm, it could easily make the necessary 14 horsepower it requires. I wonder what the fuel consumption would be at that speed? Any guesses??

BTW, if I had my Model A/B powered boat built by the time of the 2011 Marc Meet and showed up with it in San Diego, ...I could really put a whole new meaning to next year's Meet motto!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote