View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
callcoy

Default Re: Model A Marine Engine

I hope someone can save and store that engine. At Vancouver during one of the Tech sessions "Down on the Farm" a general discussion started covering the non-standard uses of the model A car and engine. Attendees shared their knowledge of Model A's cut down to be used as Doodle Bugs, others talked about marine applications, airplanes, farm combines and gleeners. One gentleman talked about military applications during Viet Nam, where he said they rebuilt model A engine powered generators and water pumps. There seemed to be a great deal of interest by those in attendence for these other than Model A car applications. Everyone there had a car or more but somehow connected with these special modifications.

Personally I think that if, lets say a farmer heard of a group that catered to A engined combines and he had one, he might join, the same with those that have a marine conversion and etc. As it was apparent at the meeting, cars owners were interested in other than car applications, owners of these "other things" may want to join the ranks of car ownership.

MAFCA has recognized a couple of special interest groups, the 400A/A400 group and FAST, the latter has over 1000 members. Starting a catch all special enterest group that would capture the marine, airplane, farming, military and etc. applications could prove to be of interest to many car owners, I see it as a membership feeder to MAFCA and a source of interest to the visitors on the barn