View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
Ziggster

Default Re: Fuel pump rod - what is the purpose of umbrella?

I thought I would give an update, as I purchased two new ones from Speedway. One of for the cast intake and the other was for the aluminum intake. Here are the observations from the machinist:

1. Both were CAD plated which caused interference with the brass bushing I also purchased from Speedway. The machinist had to remove the plating for them to fit.
2. Both are warped along the axis (Guessing by 0.050" to 0.100"). This is likely due to the fact that the "umbrella" was TIG welded around the complete rod circumference which is totally unnecessary. The original "umbrella" was just spot welded in one area.
3. The overall length of the new long version was actually longer (about 3/16") than the stock one I had. We didn't measure anything to see what was right/wrong. Also, the length below the the "umbrella" on the new long version was shorther than the stock version.

I'm very disappointed in the quality issues and will speak with Speedway when I have a chance. It's not a lot of money we are talking about, but it is the pain in the a$$ factor. It's truly amazing that they could build something like this 70 years ago that still remains as a viable part, and the stuff produced today is total garbage = offshore. Wishing this kind of manufacturing would return to NA...

Last edited by Ziggster; 08-15-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote