Thread: Mitchell O.D.
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 05:11 AM   #12
SAJ

Default Re: Mitchell O.D.

Synchro, I have to push or pull my Mitchel o/d gearstick very positively when warm, with no delay or pause with synchronizing pressure on the stick before the the baulk ring balls "pop" through. That is a straight-through up or down with no attempt to let the synchro rings do their job. Otherwise I can get between gears and then have to double declutch or it will engage and clashes badly. This is the same in both our cars. Another member has a Mitchell I fitted to his car and he cannot make smooth changes up or down. I have shown him many times how to smartly move the stick right through with no gear clash, but somehow he cannot do it.
Our Mitchell Synchro gearbox is quite different and synchronizes easily an smoothly no matter how I change gears-fast or slow , gentle or firm.. It has only about 7000 to 10000 miles on it at a guess. One overdrive has that same mileage and the other one about 22000 miles. This car still has the crash box, with Mitchell synchro box under the bench waiting to be fitted one day.
I quite like exercising the skill of managing a crash box though.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote