View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #18
peewee2you

Default Re: Walt Dupont lectures on V8 Oiling

Walt, excellent video and understanding of the oil distribution throughout the Flathead.
My question is in the first video you showed the oil pump and where the screen picks up the oil via the pump takes it in and carries through that slot in the oil pump into the chamber where the oil pressure sender unit would be on the top side of the block. My question is when you put the screw driver through the rear main hole of the block where the crank shaft journal would be lubricated, you stated that the oil would travel from that oil sender chamber? I was trying to keep track of the slot that the oil comes out of the pump and into that chamber when you stuck the oil pump in the block and ligned it up with the bolt hole so the pump would stay in place, and it appears that the slot in the oil pump that delivers oil is facing opposite of the hole in the block for the crank journal galley hole. I was expecting to hear that the slot when pump in place would have faced the opposite direction toward the galley hole in the block for the crank rear main lubrication, so now I guess what happens is that so much oil is picked up and shoved through that slot and that the oil pressure chamber fills up enough to where the oil travels through the block hole to lubricate the crank journal. I hope that made sensen, I do get a bit wordy.

It just seems like it would have made more sense for that slot to have faced in the opposite direction than it is when bolted into place and shoving oil directly at that hole in the block for the crank, facing the way it does it seems like it comes through that slot and just splashes off the block wall in that chamber and fills up with oil and then streams into that tiny hole. Thanks again for my on going education....
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote