Thread: valve removal
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: valve removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51merc View Post
pardon me for asking everytime i hit a bump in the road, but....

now i've also found some other hands on suggestions (from this forum and others) to compress the spring, upwards from the bottom of the valve, and pop out the valve retainer keys, which are 2 pieces in the manual. however, my '51 merc valve retainer keys are one-piece, so is there anyway to get them off of the bottom of the valve, while still in the block?

if i can get the valve assembly out, from the top, then i can use a socket or something similar to tap the valve guide down thru the bottom of the block, or at least to maybe free them up and get them out

i don't have a "pickle fork" compressor bar, and i do see how the need for one will necessitate ordering one, and i'm gonna, but...i've been using pry bars in an attempt to catch hold of the guides and pry them down, but it don't wanna hold good enough.
The retainer is one piece but the KEYS are two piece and have to be removed. Once the keys are removed the valves and the springs can be removed by any method necessary, then drive guides down as you mentioned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valveX.jpg (35.7 KB, 27 views)
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote