View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
JJCunningham

Thumbs down Re: Engine rebuild cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post
Here is a link to Antique Engine Rebuilders in Skokie, Illinois. Rich has a price list on the website. He has shipped his engines just about everywhere. I have three done by him and have been very pleased. Gar Williams

www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com
In August, I had to replace the engine in my model A. I purchased the engine from Antique Engine Rebuilding, and they sent me a new engine, which lasted all of 200 miles before a 4-5 inch crack was revealed in the block causing radiator fluid to spray all over the street as I drove.

I was shocked to discover that the crack had been repaired with solder and then painted over!

Thankfully, it was under warranty, so I had them ship me a new engine. When it arrived, we inspected it, and found 3 more cracks in the block each with similar solder repairs, and some along sealing surfaces that would have compromised the seals.

He's willing to provide a refund if I send him both the engine blocks I have. He's already sold my old engine, so I can't get that back. This leaves me stranded without a core to exchange or rebuild. I'd steer clear.

Schwalm's is much better.

JJCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote