Thread: remember when
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 11:27 AM   #15
rackops

Default Re: remember when

There are 131 Model As for sale on eBay at the moment. 84 of those are from dealers; 36 are private sellers (3 are unspecified). Part of the reason you see the same cars all the time is because the way the BIN auctions are structured...they run 30 days and automatically renew. That way, the dealers (most of whom are way overpriced and most have cars with serious issues) the listings are renewed every month and seem to stay there forever. This is in contrast to "back in the day" (I have been on eBay since December 1995) where everything was a seven day auction.

Regarding clubs and such, I'm on the younger end (46) and am a member of the national organizations, but not a part of any local clubs. That said, I have really enjoyed the one-on-one interaction with other Model A owners in the area, but when you get into the group "social bunch", it's a bit more uncomfortable, particularly for an introvert such as myself.

As far as my interests in Model As, I'm on my third (owned two and sold them ten years ago) and am really enjoying learning about them. I'm in a different point of life now than the last time I owned them, and have a lot more experience in mechanicals so I enjoy digging into the systems and trying my hand at rebuilding things, ranging from speedometers to fuel valves to electroplating. I figure at some point the skill sets in these areas are going to vanish and someone needs to carry them on to make sure our cars survive for another century.
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote