Thread: torque settings
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: torque settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/SR View Post
There is no standard listing of torque values because Ford had none at the time. Over time, various values came to be used and commonly accepted because they worked over time on many different vehicles. Jim Schild's and Les Andrews' books have torque values scattered in them for various applications. None of these "recommendations" are exact, but are used because they work, and there are differences between the Schild and Andrews books.
One mistake sometimes made is to look up a torque value for a certain size and grade of bolt on one of the many charts on the internet and then tighten to that limit. That is a mistake. A certain bolt application may list a certain torque setting for a specified clamp load, but that setting may be all wrong for the application and may result in warping or breaking the part.
For myself, I just consult the Schild and Andrews books as guides and tighten to what has worked for me over the years.
What he said!