View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 09:37 PM   #15
Marty_in_Mesa

Default Re: Frame Webbing Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Marty,

From your comments above, you certainly do not want to eliminate all of the gap between the underside of the extreme end of the body and the frame rails or you won't have room for the gas tank, at least not in the stock position.

Judging from your photo, your gap progressively widens from front to rear, which is normal, although it ends up perhaps wider at the very rear than original. What I would do is tighten all but the last body-to-frame bolts per my note above with the webbing and forward 1/8" pads in place and test fit the gas tank with its own 1/8" thick pads and see if the resulting gap between the back lower edge of the body and the top of the gas tank is acceptable or not.

If you are planning to use the rear fenders and frame horn covers in conjunction with those fenders or simply just the frame horn covers, keep in mind that the top forward edge of the frame horn covers and the rubber bumpers that fit into those forward edges must fit within the gap between the body and the gas tank.

If the gap between tank top and the bottom edge of the body is acceptable, I'd create some 1/4"-1/2" rubber pads for that rear body to frame attachment and spring load the bolts as per the sketch in #2 above, perhaps tapering the pad to obtain the best pre-load fit. In doing so, limit the amount of the pad material rearward of the bolt passing through the pad as the front lip of the gas tank won't end up far enough forward if the body rubber pad extends too far rearward.
DavidG, you have no idea how much I appreciate running into your post.

I am in fit/mock up stage now. (Fenderless High Boy) This is the time to check to see how much gap there will be and I will add the 1/8" rubber spacers under the tank, that and the thickness of the tank flange itself seems to account for that 1/4" rubber spacer in the rearmost mounting position correct? And per the other recent post, the spring looks exactly like the radiator suspension spring. I would assume it is acceptable?

If I had made that pie cut on the frame and done what I had planned to do, which is pull the frame up to the body in the rear and then welded the pie cut, I wouldn't have had room for the tank and its rubber spacer as you suggested.

Again, THANK YOU! To you and everyone else on the forum that try to help others! Especially those of us "new" to the 32s!
Marty

Last edited by Marty_in_Mesa; 02-07-2022 at 10:08 PM.
Marty_in_Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote