View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Won't run without choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
The video really helps. It sounds like you have a very lean mixture. Partial choke is richening it up.

For the GAV, you gently close it and note where the little indicator is pointing on the knob face. From there, open 1/2 turn to 3/4 turn back open (CCW) for a rich starting mixture. As it warms up, you can slowly close it (lean it out). If you go too far, the engine will stumble; just open it back up a touch from there.

How fresh is the gas? People argue with me about this all the time, but I have seen many a Model A and Model T not want to run on old gas. Put in fresh gas and it runs great.

After that, you have 2 options to investigate that could be giving you a very lean mixture:

1) A clogged jet or passage in the carb that you just rebuilt, not allowing enough fuel in to keep it running. This can often be compensated for by opening the GAV. (Not a permanent fix, but to diagnose it.) Try blowing backwards through al of the jets with carb cleaner spray, see if any trash comes out. Make sure the spray actually makes it out the other end of the passage.

2) A massive vacuum leak at the intake manifold that is letting too much air into the engine that the carb does not know about, is not putting any fuel into. Look at where manifold bolts to engine. Nuts tight? Gasket good? Look for a cracked manifold. Check where carb bolts to manifold.

I cant tell but is there a gasket between the carb and intake? If not that could be a source. If your unsure get the engine running in any fashion then spray carb cleaner around all these joints to eliminate vacuum leaks. Also be aware the wiper fitting and vacuum wiper itself if equipped.