Thread: advice
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
hardtimes

Default Re: advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post
I've got a 29 roadster pickup.

I'm afraid I screwed up and forgot to winterize the thing. Yes, I'm an idiot.

We've had below freezing temps here for the last two weeks.

I realized my mistake on the first day we had temps above freezing.

I put a kerosene heater in the garage and have kept the temps above freezing for the last 24 hours.

I opened the drain and a small dribble of water came out... hardly anything.

No water in the oil yet that I can see. No obvious damage anywhere.

Any advice on how to inspect this engine once I get it all thawed out?

I haven't driven the car since before last April, so it could be that the cooling system was mostly dry.

I figure if I keep it above freezing for another 24 hours then it should be thawed out...

What a stupid thing to do.

rob
Hey Rob,
Silver lining here, may be that you had it parked in a shed when you realized may be a problem and took action.
And, as you indicate, if you've had a leaking problem, this may to the only case ....where a leak is/was GOOD . Let's hope that is the case.
In the current situation, I'd take a bucket of warm water (as your evidence shows 'no water in crankcase') and pour the warm water into the engine/radiator. IF it goes in ok...all may be well. IF it goes in partially and will not accept much, then ice may still be there...but the warm water will help dissipate /melt any ice. I think that you are lucky and have done the correct things now i.e.- heater, etc..
But, as you well know now , drain the system completely for storage. Ask me how I know. I lived in Pa, in former life and as a kid , learned such the hard way.

Last edited by hardtimes; 01-10-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: .............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote