View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #15
hardtimes

Default Re: Valve spring pressure and a Stipe cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
I had a conversion with Jim Brierley back in May 2013 about higher spring pressures for my Stipe 330 cam. The installed pressure of a Model A valve spring is about 50 lbs at 2.340 inches(that's with one piece guides). With .330 inches of lift, the spring pressure is 75 lbs. That's a spring rate of about 75lbs/in. for the stock springs. I have found springs with slightly higher spring rates (116lbs/in) that are exactly the same size (1 inch OD by 3 inches high) as the stock Model A spring. This spring has as installed pressure of 76 lbs and 114 lbs pressure at full lift. Jim felt that was a good spring for this application. They are sold by "Hardware Products Company"(https://www.hardwareproducts.com/stock-springs) in Chelsea, MA. The spring part number is 14079. Listed price is $5.75 each with a minimum order of 10 pieces. I've been running them since 2014 (4000+ miles) with no problems.
Hey Al,
Did you check out Iskendarian for springs ? They have a good reputation for consistency and quality of their V8 flathead valve springs. I've used them on our four A/B , and they work well. I've only used them for higher performance engine work and they are in Los Angeles, close by.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote