View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Help - My A is barely running

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Might be overkill for an A but you could stick a vacuum gauge on the wiper port if you have one.
Most certantly not overkill - to me it goes leakdown test (static as OP called it), then vacuum gauge, then compression.

Yes the ring blowby is normal on a leakdown test - once the air pushes the oil past all the rings theres air gaps everywhere in the rings on any engine - same reason as you slowly hand turn the engine you can hear air getting squished squash noises coming from oil pan.

All good things to check especially manifold gasket and any air leaks from carb to intake ports.

Does it rev up in neutral or does it need the load of the car driving to act up? When it starts acting up pull the choke about 1/2 out (forces it to suck more fuel in) if it magically gets better its fuel related or vacuum related.

If it doesn't affect anything or run worse (flooding) id guess electrical and check that wire between upper and lower plates but usually that shorts/flakes out the car one minute and not the next or moving the spark rod causes the issue to arrise.

Since it idles OK as you say and your leakdown test showed no bad head gasket or internal engine sealing problems i would do a vacuum gauge test and try the fuel thing i suggested.

I assume it makes no difference if engine is cold or hot?