View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #118
davids2toys

Default Re: 36 Ford drag link orientation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Hey Dave...Ain't these old cars fun, yeah? Well, being new to this, I can imagine your frustration. Stick with this and over the years to come, you will begin to understand the "beast" with all of it's idiosyncrasies and interchange possibilities.

Now, to your problem at hand....let's say that you do make your bends, and let's say that you do end-up with an overall length that allows the drag link to touch the TIE ROD (the rod connecting the two spindles). I would merely bend the Pitman arm DOWN just a skosh lower (more bend at the BIG HOLE end) so that the small end sits just below the tie rod. In theory it seems, this should move the drag link even farther away from the pan in a left turn.

You know, in looking at your pictures again, and realizing that the drag link attaches to the Pitman from the bottom, I believe that I would NOT attempt to bend (or straighten) the drag link hole. By being bent DOWNWARD already, that seems to facilitate moving the drag link downward and hence, away from the pan, or so it seems in your pictures. Yes/no? DD
Oh yeah, a real party! Doesn't help that my Cobra is on the lift and not running at present so it is all on my back with a bum knee.
I hear what you are saying about the little end bending down, but if you really look at it, when I straighten the top bend, the downward turn of the little end actually will be locating it closer to the pan. I think I will just do the big end and then see what I need after that.
Will Mapp gas work instead of Acetylene? I do have some of those yellow bottles I believe. Also, would you happen to know the Torque range for the Pit-man arm castellated nut
davids2toys is offline   Reply With Quote