View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #37
Bill G

Default Re: Installing emergency brake return springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbs View Post
hello- i am inexperienced but recently replaced some springs and basically used mr chauvins excellent note but i thought i would make a few suggestions whi9ch helped me-
1 take off wheel
2remove lever of course but leave it off after inserting spring
3mark where the key groove is on lever hub
4pull service brake rod all the way fwd gives you more working room
5 notice which side of hub is 'in' and which side is out before removing lever
6 put lasso loop over the lever side of the spring
7 put the lever on loosely
8 pull lasso fwd as you slip lever on shaft and catch the spring clip on lever- takes very little force to slip spring clip over lever front
9 rotate hub slihgtly to find the half moon key
10 if hub wont go on all way, make sure of spring loops is not blocking- if so use screw driver to move loop out of way
Did mine recently too. Those dang things are really not for the faint of heart. "The book" says to assemble the backing plates on the workbench then attach to the Axle.

There was just no acrobatics nor positioning of the levers, prying with anything handy or cuss words that would allow me to put an assembled unit on the axle.

The alternative was to put the backing plate on the axle without the e-brake carrier and assemble the e-brake while on the car. I got lots of practice picking the woodruff keys off the floor and a lot of tries positioning the illustrious spring.

The book (Les Andrews) makes it sound so easy. I would like to see a video of how to get a backing plate with both levers on the dang axle.

I did learn early in the process to temporarily move the service brake lever out of the way.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote