View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #150
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Traveled yesterday to Mac VanPelt's with Don P., showed up and he was already working in his shop. Unloaded the 39LZ transmission and we quickly took apart. Inspected several parts for wear that could or would cause a problem once I get the car rolling under its own power. Got a quick class on how all the synchronizers work and engage as you shift and the problem he saw in a Fordbarn photo I posted of the synchronizer. The lack of space between the synchronizer and gear was the give away of synchronizer worn out and not grabbing the gear and bringing up to speed. Inspected all gears, shafts, bearings, case and shifting tower for problems. I will return next week to pick up the transmission. We also got a tour of the shop, tools and his inventory of transmissions, engines and V8 parts. We went to lunch in his 42 Tudor, just a very enjoyable time was had by Don and I. Thanks Mac and Will
Transmissions neon sign

Arriving and taking transmission apart

Synchronizer space correct photo, if you have no space it is worn out.

worn out

Main shaft that has wear and is best replaced, he had several that are NOS and also a used shaft that was good.

I have no information of cars past mechanical repairs, we found two of the short roller bearings that one had wear on rollers and one that looked new, at some time in past someone has replaced limited parts. We/I learned the function of the rear thrust washer, mine was in fairly good shape with the babbit groves still showing, Mac said he has seen some very thin and makes for a lot of travel.

Not all the photos or information, but all for today , Except Mac's 42 Tudor, on our way to Lunch.

Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote