View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #146
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Bill, I took the special grease fitting out today, it is a grease fitting made with a 1" nipple, I thought maybe two piece but it is one. Threaded on other end it treads into the middle carrier bearing housing so bearing gets grease. The oil comes out from around the grease fitting nipple, so if there is a small gap around the nipple(which there is) any oil in tube will leak. With torque tube in car it is higher than oil level in rear end on level ground.
Ralph G., I would now not recommend that, I found out today that the axle will not take any or very little abuse before it bends the threaded portion of axle or collapses the threads. After heating several time in past weeks, soaking in PB Blaster, leaving the hub puller on for days at a time, we/Don P. had to take a cutting wheel to the hub. We placed a 1/2" EMT coupling over threads to protect and cut the hub over the axle key. Place the Hub puller on hub and tighten up, Don took a cold chisel and small hammer and tapped the hub in the cut and it POPPED. Removed hub, have a slight bend in the threaded end of axle now. Also, removed the shocks from the shock links today, they too are tapered. Looking for a good hub, did not touch the drum.
Don P. relieving the hub with cold chisel

Removing the drum for first time, light weight puller is all it took once relieved of pressure

Thought it was a thumbs up moment, Don said it was a TWO thumbs up!!!!!!!
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote