View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #52
Tim Ayers

Default Re: School me on flatheads... Did I bite off more than I can chew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Maybe so! I was seeing that central hole as a trapezoid...on looking now, it could well be round with some visual distortion from crud and grainy image!
Slap a ruler on there quick...I suspect Z is correct and you have a 99!
On the costs...forget externals like heads and manifold if you are broke. That stuff can be added later when you recover from first steps or hit lucky in your scrounging.
Bore and valve work is about the same as anything, if you scrounge and swap sleeves yourself cheaper. Pistons...poor people don't use Ross, and Joblot traditionally has deals on the standard pistons you can use if you replace sleeves...
Bearings and such cost more than SBC, rods may turn out ready to clean and re-use or turn out to be another expense...carefully split good rebuild versus parts that can be swapped later, think about the Merc crank, a somewhat pricey beneficial change that you can't really do later...
Now MEASURE THAT BORE WITH A RULER! I am thinking Zaemo saw that middle hole more clearly than I did and you have a 99, a big upgrade!
Bruce:

I agree with almost everything you say: What I don't is pistons. Like valve and machine work, this is a place a I wouldn't go cheap.

Also, it gives you some additional options later down the line. Let's say you wanted to add a blower. Long shot, but who knows. I know I wouldn't tear down a running motor to install new pistons.

Cast pistons are dicey for this application. You can split the diff., get those hypereuthentic (sp??) pistons. Egge and Speedway sell them. They are stronger than cast, but not as strong as a forged and they are priced in between.

If it is a 99 block, you don't want to ruin it by using cheap parts.

Yes, guys have run cast pistons from the day the internal combution engine was created. Doesn't always mean it was the best choice.

It's your money and spend it as you see fit, but for an extra $100 or so dollars, I'd go with Ross pistons. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 09-25-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote