View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 10:09 AM   #1
philcobill

Question Can't get engine started after changing timing gear

This past week we changed the timing gear in our Special Coupe. I have only been able to start and idle it three times and drive one time since then. The following is a list (not exhaustive) of things I have done so far.

1. Changed out carburetors (three of them). There is adequate fuel flow at the carburetors.

2. Put in new "modern" points and the condenser, and set them to 0.018-0.019.

3. Cleaned and re-gapped the spark plugs to 0.035.

4. Set the timing according to Les Andrews in the Model Mechanics Book. I also consulted various YouTube videos on the subject. While setting the timing, I made sure I rotated the cam clockwise before tightening the screw. I used an indicator light which was off at notches 0 and 1 on the spark advance lever, and on at notch 2.

5. Double checked, and cleaned and tightened all wiring including the coil to distributor wire and the wiring in the terminal box.

6. The distributor has "modern" Nu-Rex plates in it. I checked the wire between the plates for shorts, there were none.

7. The three carbs are a Tillotson, a loaner Zenith, and the original Zenith that came with the car. I know the Tillotson may have clogged jets.

8. I have tried various GAV setting on the carbs.

9. There is the perfunctory 6.3 volts at the terminal box, the red wire, the starter, the alternator, and the points.

10. When we installed the timing gear three people checked, double-checked, and triple check the meshing of the timing gear and the crankshaft gear.

11. The ignition cable is turned into the distributor the correct amount. (I have no reason to believe otherwise because there is spark at the points, is this a correct assumption?)

12. The timing gear was not shredded, and the fibers were intact. So I imagine that nothing from the timing ended up elsewhere in the engine.

Behavior

1. The engine turns over all right, but I am running down the battery. I was able to start the car one time and drive it around the block using the Tillotson carb, but I barely made it back home because the car was sputtering so badly. I imagine the sputtering could be from the clogged jets in the carb. Additionally, I was able to start it for about 30 seconds using the loaner Zenith and the Tillotson, but not yet with the original Zenith.

2. The engine backfired so loudly it sounded like a gunshot, and stopped. I could not restart it right away after that.

3. The engine sounds like it can catch, firing a couple of revs and then stopping

4. Before driving the car around the block on the Tillotson and while idling it, the engine sound was the best I have heard out of it. The idle was much quieter than before.

I wonder what am I doing wrong. Is there a something I am missing? Is the above behavior indicative of a timing gear not in sync with the crankshaft gear (off be a tooth)? I don't imagine that is possible because I have been able to start it and idle it at least one time.

I want my car back. Before the timing gear went out, the engine would fire almost instantly after I pressed the starter button. It is darn frustrating not being able start it.

Bill

Last edited by philcobill; 07-30-2021 at 10:29 AM. Reason: wording change
philcobill is offline   Reply With Quote