View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #28
duke36

Default Re: Modern post manufacture shock absorbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Yes! Shocks are a pain! For mine, I used Monroe "gas-matic" #59017. These have an "eye" or ring at both ends. I found them rather easy to work with. I believe there's a sketch with two views in my album "My A" of the shock bracket. There are a left one and a right one, so they can be mirrored, but not duplicated. There is some welding involved with it so if welding is not your thing, better buy a kit.

I had my spring off so there was not a problem with lubricating it. I merely loosened the center bolt somewhat( Be very careful not to loosen it too much,Springs are very dangerous!) Besides, you're only creating a small where oil can pass through (It gets trough the .001 gap between the crank and the bearings, doesn't it?). Saturate it with oil for a day or two while the spring is on it's side. Then blow it out with compressed air and saturate it again and stand it up for a day or two so the oil penetrates down between the leaves then turn it over so the oil (STP, 600w, corn head grease, old drain oil, graphite, what have you!) seeps into the other side. When all done, tighten the center bolt to tighten the spring pack and reinstall.
Terry
Home Depot in US has a graphite spray that appears to work well. Dries fine and can be layered to suit.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote