View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #17
Joe K

Default Re: shavings found in light switch body

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcowboy View Post
@joe K: So you guys are suggesting the someone tried to put a twilight plate on top of the H style contact? That explains why it was so difficult to get the light switch at the steering wheel to make sense when trying to get lights to work.

It doesn't explain the "shavings" i found in the 'switch body" when iI pulled it part though. Although fitting to incompatible parts together can result in shavings ;-0

@Bob C: Yes I found those measurements when I checked the parts with my calipers!

I forgot - I actually did get the twolight switch body from Snyders when I got the harness. So I should be able to take the new body and match it up to the twolight plate that was mistakenly put on! The only thing I lose is the H contact and I lose a bit of authenticity?

If that is the case I am wondering if the two light switch body will be compatible with the light rod ending that must enter the body and fit the slots in the contact plate?
The wiring harnesses for the Type H (early) differs from the later "Twolight (later) harness. If you buy the Twolight harness, it should have the plate attached.

The earlier Type H did not have parking lights. The four contact switch is only a three position switch in this case Off-Low-High. The Twolight switch is a four postion switch Parking-Off-Low-High.

If you bought the switch plate and the switch body both from Snyders - then they are bothTwolight.

Depending on the year/time range of your car, you may not lose any originality. My CC truck is March 1929 - it originally had the Type H headlights and four position switch. But by March of 1929 Ford was transferring "obsoleted" parts from the domestic car line and using them up for the commercial units. So technically, my truck could have had either Type H or Twolight.

Were I you and unless you feel compelled to keep it "original" I would part off the four position switch, the lower portion of the switch if you have it, the multi-contact plate and the switch control rod (probably marked to match the three positions) and sell these to someone looking for these non-produced parts.

One thought.

Joe K