View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #27
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: 6 volt, positive ground boost help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
Okay here is an update and my situation on the charging system. I typically only take short rides around town 10-15 miles. I have not been putting the battery tender on after every trip. As this car is new to me I'm trying to figure out it quirks. I starts instantly when cold but a little harder when hot. The other day I was afraid it would not start as the battery sounded real low when hot. Yes, I drive with fog light on for my day time running lights. The amp gauge always shows neg when anything is on even at a higher rpm. So I put my battery tender on and because its only 1.25 amps it took two days for it to completely charge again - something aint right.

So today I played with the generator third brush adjustment. It really didn't seem to make any change, I moved it about 1/4" each way. With nothing on it starts at 6.5 volts and goes as high as 8.5 volts at say 1000 rpm. Once I put the lights on it will not go above 6.15 volts no matter how high the rpm.
I had the same issue, in my 53' Merc when I turned the fog/running light on, so I chnaged the bulbs to LED's (minimal draw). Just a thought.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote