View Single Post
Old 02-23-2023, 04:10 PM   #1
Bigsweet75

Default Frame straightening

Good afternoon to all,

The 1931 Briggs four-door I purchased had what appeared to be a restored chassis, including a rebuilt engine with 1500 miles on it most of the hydraulic brakes set up, but the body was original. I replaced all the wood in the floor of the body including the two main runners and cross sections. I had the body sandblasted then I primed and painted it. I attached the splash aprons and front fenders to the chassis put the rear fenders on the body started bolting everything down, but things didn’t seem to be lining up quite right. I set the body on the chassis and put the 4 doors on. I realized as you can see in the pictures that I should run a string line along the underside of the driver side rail. Each end the string is set 1 1/2” away from rail. Though at about the rear motor mount section of the driver side rail there is only 3/8” gap. My math says she’s sagging 1 1/8”! I’m guessing I’ve got to take the body off again then remove splash, aprons, and fenders. I just read about a method to straighten the frame by putting heavy timbers or railroad ties on the ground with chains around them and bottle jacks position at the rear motor mount location of frame to remove the sag.
Curious if anybody has any advice?
Bigsweet75 is offline   Reply With Quote