View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #20
danliveshere

Default Re: 35 spindles and axle worn. Looking for a needle thrust bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Truthfully, there is no issue to be fixed . . . and there is no LOAD on that portion of the axle to spindle mating (as there is on other designs). So, anything you put in that space is effectively just a spacer and/or oil/lubrication holder. There should be a thin cup-washer and a felt pad/spacer that goes in there. The spindle doesn't move up/down in that gap area as it's location and it's load is being handled by the bearing that sits underneath the top of the king pin.

If you still want a needle thrust bearing, they obviously make them as they are used in the situation where the weight of the car is between the lower part of the axle end the spindle. I believe I have some in my shop - can see if I have a part number?
Bored and Stroked thanks if you can find a number that would be great.
I’ve been looking at my roadster front end with 37 stub axles, with the thrust bearing under the axle, that makes more sense to me. So when you look at 32-36 design the weight of the car is essentially held by the tapered lock pin that’s keeping the king pin in the one spot? I know this isn’t ford correct , I’m just trying to sort out the excessive ware gap and thought a needle bearing would be better than a shim.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote