Thread: 35 radiator
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 02:51 PM   #14
DavidG

Default Re: 35 radiator

I have proven once again that logic (aided by a faulty memory) does not always lead us to the right conclusion, at least in my case. In my offering (#6) above I implied that the large top tank radiator with its larger capacity continued to be used in the U.S. assembly plants providing vehicles to dealers in warmer climates and the small top tank radiator was used in U.S. assembly plants providing vehicles to dealers in cooler climates.

I ran across my notes from the engineering releases today and the exact opposite was the case. The small top tank radiator, 48-8005-B, was released for production on 5-2-35 for the following assembly plants: Long Beach, Dallas, Louisville, Memphis, Norfolk, Richmond (CA, except for vehicles destined for the Seattle District) and St. Louis (except for vehicles destined for the Des Moines District). It was manufactured by Modine, McCord, and Ford.

The large top tank radiator, 48-8005-A1 and A2, was released for production on 9-12-34. A revised release dated 5-2-35 added the A suffix to the part number and indicated that it was "for mild climates" and was henceforth to be used for production at the following assembly plants: Chicago, Twin Cities, Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Chester, Edgewater, Somerville, Dearborn, Richmond (for vehicles destined for the Seattle District) and St. Louis (for vehicles destined for the Des Moines District). It was manufactured by McCord and Ford.

No doubt the above is way more information than most folks are interested in, but since I erred, I wanted to give the correct full story.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote