View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Steve/IL

Default Re: '32 Axle Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Ignore the myth! There was only one front axle used originally on all '32 passenger cars and commercial vehicles. The front axle was progressively "lightened" with smaller cross sections from the spring perches to the outer ends of the axle on the '33s and then overall on the '34s. The '32 and '33 versions were not serviced after the '33 model year as the '34 version became the only one offered as a service part.

As a result, if a '32 had a damaged front axle after 1933 the only service axle available to replace it was the lighter '34 axle. After 50 or 80 years later, such a vehicle with a replaced axle "appears" (and does in fact) to have a lighter front axle and the thought seems to be that it was built that way. Those with experience with lots of original '32s know that bent front axles aren't exactly rare and the replacement of one way back when would not be a rare occurence.
DavidG,

I have had numerous 'discussions' trying to explain what you so eloquently stated. If you don't mind, I'll will use your explanation in the future or, if the inquisitor still doesn't buy into it, I will refer him to this post. Thanks!