View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #15
Will D

Default Re: No more gallivanting - temp question

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
Finding one "hooped" valve is a sure indication that more are to come. A compression test will confirm whether there is a problem. A bent valve is unusual in an old flathead.
The valve issue was on my jap scrap daily driver for work. #4 exhaust valve had a big hole burnt in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Are you running thermostats ,it sounds like you have a 5/10 deg margin only . with out theromostates it should run about 170 (to cold ).you need another row of tubes ,or a shroud will do it ,My 34 runs about 140 ,not ideal I need to add thermostats,its cold here. . send me a PM and I with send you the plains for a shroud .Ted
I'm running 180 thermostats. I can run it all day at 40-50 with no issues or drastic rise. Sticks right at 180. This past week it was creeping up to 200+/- with the higher ambient temp and cruising 55-60 for approx 30 miles. Then the other day it held at just above 180 on a hot day(94F) after I changed the radiator cap. Not sure if this was just a fluke or the cap made a difference.

Thinking I may have found the problem or part of it. There is an inline valve on the hose going to the heater core under the seat. It has been leaking and slowly getting worse. Not allowing the system to pressurize properly and/or introducing air?

Side note, should this valve as mentioned above be closed when heater core is not in use or should it be left open all the time except to service the heater core?
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote