View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
Nosetime

Default Re: mallory distributor

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Oh Boy. I too sent a YA to Bubba, allowing what I thought was a reasonable amount of time before my car was ready. After 4-5 months i bought a Bubba restored YL on eBay so I could drive. I ended up buying another YL in new condition as backup.
Now for the bad news to DB, you may never find a good cap. I looked for a year. I ended up buying a whole YA just for the cap. You will find a lot of guys have had to do the same. I may consider selling it. If you buy a YA-11 and have Bubba go through it, you will have over $500 into it. Thats why you rarely see a car with them. They do pop up on eBay on occasion, usually in the $275 to 300 range. There is a NOS for sale at $500 which is a bargain. There is another on Hamb for $375 that looks very good.
Now, some better news. I have seen V8 caps converted. You do see these and 6 cyl caps for sale on eBay. No idea how they run, but it looked like a reasonable set up. About Bubba, he slowed down significantly due to health problems and has a limited schedule. His communication at best, is a problem by todays standard. But, his Grandson is involved, hopefully he can take on some of that end, too! The work quality is not a question, to be sure! He is focused on select V8 distributors now, so I would talk to him BEFORE you ship anything. My biggest criticism would be they opened my box and cashed my check right away which, to me implied starting the job. That was not the case. Again, I would make sure you have a backup distributor in use, then consider sending your YA in. Russ, at some point I was very uncomfortable pressing for mine, but honestly, a lot of promises were not kept regarding timeline. Whew...after all that I would still send Jim another distributor. Mine went to him right in the beginning of his health issues, and I know he was already very busy and backed up..last we talked he scaled it all back and hopefully is on top of it. Finally, why use a YA-11 at all you might ask? Because they are beautiful large, stout cast iron period parts. I love them!

Last edited by Nosetime; 02-02-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote